HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Smoking after having a pneumothrax from a collision?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion

helpme Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Smoking after having a pneumothrax from a collision?

Hi, i'm 17 years old and I used to smoke weed 3-4 times a week for about a year. Then about 5 weeks ago my left lung collapsed after someone charged into me while playing basketball. After they inserted the tubes, they told me i had fluid in my lungs anyway? (i dont know if this means it could have collapsed anyway, i didnt ask..) After about 3 days the air leak hadn't healed properly so i then got VATS surgery so it's not possible to collapse again. Everything was fine after that.

On the last day in hospital the doctor told me that i can't smoke again and that it would increase the risk of my other lung collapsing by 5 times and that i could still get an air leak in my left, but it wont actually collapse.. He then started going on about how if i want to live a long healthy life that i shouldnt smoke again and how some people do smoke after having this happen to them and they only just end up back in the hospital within a year. Some of my friends think he just said that so scare me (which he did). I did do quite a bit of research and i know that it does raise your chances if it happens spontaneously and that there are people who do go on smoking after it and are fine, but there isnt that much on what happens if it's from collision. All of the stuff i found on smoking after a traumatic pneumothorax said that its fine and you can live a normal life and not have to worry about another collapse...?

I have smoked 3 times since coming out of hospital. Mostly because it was pretty hard coping without it for so long and after what the doctor said it made me want to smoke even more, but anxious at the same time. The first few times, i was drunk so i wasnt really paranoid about either of my lungs collapsing. Then the third time i had a pretty small hit from a bong and like 20 mins later i felt a fair bit of pressure on my left lung which made me pretty paranoid. I was still breathing normally and it wasnt painful so i calmed down mostly and had a few more bongs. After about a day the pressure was gone, but i would get this pain when i inhaled deeply every now and then which only stopped a few days ago (its been 5 days). This could have been because i did a fair bit of walking compared to what i've been doing to get to my friends house and my lungs hadn't recovered yet, but i really dont know.

So.. i'm really unsure on what to do because i'm not sure if i fall into the spontaneous category since it might have happened anyway (which im not sure on(fluid in my lungs)). I don't know if that's why the doctor said i can't smoke. I think i should wait another few weeks before smoking again, but before then i need to know what could happen if i do.

Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if you've had the same dilemma of know someone who has. : ) Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions