HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Still in hospital after 5 days with chest drain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion

susaamdxp Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Still in hospital after 5 days with chest drain

Hi people!

I want to hear your experience regarding SP that I have experienced for the first time.

I went to the hospital after some pain in my chest. The doctors said that I had SP and I needed to stay o hospital with chest drain. How much of the lung was reduced when I got there I don't know (maybe 40%?)

The chest drain was set at 10 to 15 cm H2O. After first night there was I good improvement and the doctors 1,5cm left.

Second night & third night was the same amount (around 1,5cm). But this is were the pain started to increase.

On the third day the doctors suggested the chest drain to be turned of and x-ray after 4 hours to see if the lung was healed. The answer was it didn't so they turned the chest drain back on.

This was when the awful pain begun no matter how much morfin the gave me so they forced to shut it off. As i understand the SP did re-expand to something 7cm. The new suggestion was the chest drain was to be set on passive.

4hours later the x-ray showed an improvement and the SP was reduced to 3cm. At this point I was moved to another clinic with expertise in lung.

Next morning (4day) on the new clinic they x-ray me and the SP was down again 7cm again. So the changed the chest drain to another manufacture (same tube). This one had more settings and could be set -5,6,7cm H2O etc.

The doctors suggested that we begin at -5cmH2O because of the pain then to be set at higher after some time. 4hours later x-ray showed an improvement to something -3,5cmH2O. Pain was in some hours very awful again.

5day there was a little improvement (0,5cm). The doctors suggested again the pressure to be added to -7cmH2O. I managed it for 5min then they pain got back so they reduced it to -5cmH2O. This day overall the pain has been very little except for the changed suction flow.

Anyone has experienced the same? Is this suppose to take this long? Anyone as experience same pain?

Answers are appreciated!

Anthony Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi susaamdxp!

Sorry to read about your painful adventure...

I hope that now, 2 months later, you are already at home and feeling much better. How are you?

I also had my first PSP this year, in January, here's my story: http://blebinfo.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

Unfortunatelly I can't help you because in my case the doctors never talked to me in terms of cms H2O. They just inserted the tube (with a lot of trouble), by the third day it stopped bubbling and by the 5th day they took it out and I'm fine since then.

In the meanwhile (it has been 4 months since then) I started to think that maybe I'm not going to have a repetition, but in the last 10 days I've been feeling a lot of pain and it's the same kind of pain that I felt before I had the first episode...

So I'm not very sure anymore and this is really sad that the doctors say it was spontaneous and primary (no disease associated) but it seems like there is some kind of proccess that starts the whole thing...

Let us know how you are doing now. Kind regards,

-

swede Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Anthony wrote:
Hi susaamdxp!

Sorry to read about your painful adventure...

I hope that now, 2 months later, you are already at home and feeling much better. How are you?

I also had my first PSP this year, in January, here's my story: http://blebinfo.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

Unfortunatelly I can't help you because in my case the doctors never talked to me in terms of cms H2O. They just inserted the tube (with a lot of trouble), by the third day it stopped bubbling and by the 5th day they took it out and I'm fine since then.

In the meanwhile (it has been 4 months since then) I started to think that maybe I'm not going to have a repetition, but in the last 10 days I've been feeling a lot of pain and it's the same kind of pain that I felt before I had the first episode...

So I'm not very sure anymore and this is really sad that the doctors say it was spontaneous and primary (no disease associated) but it seems like there is some kind of proccess that starts the whole thing...

Let us know how you are doing now. Kind regards,

-

Primary here too - that doesn't mean there are no process that makes it happen, it just means that noone can see what's behind this problem we have.
It's a mystery, still, after like 100 years of knowledge of this condition.

Pain and all kinds of different sensations are normal the coming months.
The pleura gets sore/inflamed for some time, you have scar tissue from the procedure, and you have a recovering lung with a newly healed hole in it.
You get all kinds of sensations from this, but this is not something every doctor will tell you when leaving after you are done.
But you learn in time, and you learn what is normal and what is not, after a lot of "unneccesary" x-rays Wink
And once in a while you meet someone with extra knowledge of this and can suck up some valuable information.
Could be a doctor, could be a surgeon, could be a x-ray doctor...

By the way, I feel the procedure with active sucking drain to be a bit odd.
If you have a hole in the lung, that is supposed to heal, do you really want to constantly suck air through that hole, by being connected to some sucking device?
Or do you want a passive and mobile drain, slowly ventilating out the air, leaving the lung be?
My vote goes to number 2, and it's what I'll insist on getting if anyone ever tries to get a big active tube in my chest!
Unless Hemothorax of course, when there are no choice...

EDITED my bad "swenglish", heal and not leak lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions