HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

What's the longest period you've stayed in the hospital?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion

Piia Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: What's the longest period you've stayed in the hospital?

Hi, guys!

I wrote here three years ago after my first pneumothorax, which I had on the right side and which was operated by VATS pleurectomy & bullectomy. Back then I spent 11 days in a hospital and was fine afterwards.

Unfortunately three years later, 2 weeks ago, the same lung collapsed again. It seems that the pleurectomy, which they made to the upper part of my lung, holds exactly as it should, but the lower area still has pleura and that's where the lung collapsed this time.

The problem is that I've spent almost two weeks in a hospital and I'm seriosly beginning to get worried that I'm never getting out, that I'm dying here! I was treated with talc pleurectomy to fix the bottom area of the lung. It didn't work out, so they treated my lung with talc the second time couple of days ago. The talc pleurodesis was made awake both times, they just put talc inside the lung from the tube and sucked it out 6 hours later.

The first talc session was fine, even though it didn't fix my lung. The second time was awful. I feld so sick and painful afterwards that the next night I collapsed to the hospital's bathroom floor. My blood pressure dropped to 80/50, I was complitely wet by my own cold sweat and i needed extra oxygen and a lot of help to cope that night.

Now the situation is still quite depressing. The hospital staff noticed that I had a bad infection, which made my blood CPR levels rise up to 266. The bottom of my lung was totally filled with fluid, which was noticed in the x-ray. I got antibiotics treatment immediately. Last night the suction tube sucked 260 milligrams of fluid out of my lung and i hope that was it. Is it possible that it was just the infection that filled my lung with fluid so badly?

Sorry for the long rambling, but i guess i need to share this story with someone who might have the same experience. In case anyone has simial experiences, here are some questions:

1. What's the longest period you've spend in a hospital because of SP? After almost two weeks I'm beginning to worry that I'll never get back to normal life again.

2. Have you had any infections and / or fluids in the lung after operations or talc pleurectomy? Could it just be the the infection,which caused the fluid to get to the lung area?

3. If the doctors suggest a third talc pleurectomy, is it possible to decline it? I guess it's really not working for me at all and i'd rather be operated with VATS for the second time.

Two weeks and I'm still leaking air.. just a tiny bit (less than 10 ml per second) and mainly when i move, but still. What makes me extra sad is that the whole talc pleurodesis, the suffering and the infection was all for nothing. Sad I'm back to square 1, or maybe even worse.

paulaoneill25 Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Hi Piia
The longest I spent in hospital was in 2009 after my VATS procedure on my right lung. I was in for about 3 weeks. In 2012 my right lung started collapsing again, same reason as yours - at the bottom of the lung. It was collapsing every month and I was in and out of hospital for short periods with drains and also talc pleurodesis which I found extremely painful!! The talc didn't work for me and had they suggested it again I would have flat out refused. I didn't suffer any infections with this though. Inevitably I had a full open thoracotomy total pleurectomy and also talc added during the operation. That was in 2013 and although I have pains and niggles here and there it seems to have done the trick!! Surprisingly I was only in hospital for one week with this operation as opposed to 3 with the VATS!!

Piia Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, paulaoneill25! It actually comforted me a lot. Smile

Unfortunately I'm still in a hospital, this is my third week here. They tried talc twice with bad results, put the tube in a new place with some results, but it didn't fix the problem in the end (instead it caused tremendous pain, because the tube was inserted too deep and sucked my lung tissue).

Finally, today, the doctors told me, that I'll be operated with VATS for the second time. A part of me is really scared, but on the other hand I know that this is the best way to make sure that my lung will not collapse anymore.

Surgeons haven't told me exaclty what they are going to do, but I assume they are going to look for the bullaes and cut them off (apparently they are really small ones) and operate the bottom of the lung in some way that will hold. Probably the pleura will be removed from the bottom of the lung as well.

I hope the result will be the same as yours - recovery. Smile I don't even care if it's gonna hurt or if I'll end up having some cronic pain. I just really, really need to get home.

EDITED 1st of sept 2016: After almost 4 weeks in a hospital I finally got out! Now i've been at home for a few days recovering from my second VATS. There's some pain, of course, and for sure some nerve damage, since the pain in the operated side goes all the way to my arm. I'm sure I'll get better, though. Hope this never ever happens again.

Rossoe Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Well done Piaa for getting through all that - I remember feeling like I was never going to get out of that hospital bedroom, it was even worse being tied to the wall with suction tubes! Best of luck with your recovery.

Piia Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, Rossoe! Yes, it was quite awful experience. Everything that could go wrong truly did go wrong.

The talc pleurodedis didn't do the trick neither the first nor the second time. The chest tube had to be reinserted, and the doctor pushed it too deep. I spent the next night in an horrible agony, unable to move because of the pain. I got an epidural in the morning and the doctor fixed the placement of the drain a few hours later.

After the surgery the lung itself was fine, but my body was so weak that I got a medicine poisoning, lost my concious and was woken up by the hospital's medical emergency team. After that my stomach started aching really bad and I needed a different medicine for that.

However, I'm doing good now! I just had a doctor's checkup this week and according to the x-rays my lung is fine. It's expanded and has been scarring nicely, attaching to the chest. I went back to work this week and no longer need any pain medication. Sure there's still some niggles, pain and sensations, but nothing bad.

According to the doctor my lung physically can't collapse again, at least not so badly that a chest tube would ever be needed again. They did the pleurectomy all around the lung and added talc afterwards. It was also a relief to hear that the lung tissue itself was fine - I had no blebs or bullaes anywhere and no signs of a LAM disease, which can cause collapsing lungs for 30 something women.

It's 6 weeks post op now and life's good!

swede Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Wow, very cool that you're "up and running" so soon, even though you had so much bad luck, and such a big surgery.

Really hope you won't have to go through stuff like that again!

Now I'm gonna forget I read this awful thread, so I can continue to believe that I will never need anything more than a tiny TruClose Wink

At least not until next-gen painkillers is here and big surgery won't be any problem at all Smile

Piia Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

Sorry, swede, I didn't mean to scare you! I guess the main thing to remember from this awful thread is that after all I survived and got myself fixed. Smile It's 2 months post op now and I'm literally up and running (and horse back riding, too).

swede Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

Wow, that is amazing after all, thanks for sharing Smile
Not all are that lucky it seems, totally impossible to know before how your body will handle the post-op nerve damage and other nasty stuff :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions