HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Measure your lungs, for own reference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion

swede Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Measure your lungs, for own reference?

I don't know if this works, measuring how much you can breathe out (vital capacity I think) to know what is normal, but I suppose if you have a pneumothorax you should loose at least 0,5 liters of that capacity.

I must ask the doctors next time, unless anyone here beats me to it, or tries for real on a pneumothorax (not that you want to do that maybe, if you know you have one I mean...)

Anyway - I take a plastic bag that is a bit smaller, hold it together quite near the top with my fingers, at a level where I can just fill it with air from one full breath, so it's real full and hard.
Then I fill it with water while I hold it just the same (with support under of course), one liter at a time from a measuring cup, until the water reaches that level where my hands hold it together.

I have done this a few times to see how exact it is, and I get farily consistent results, maybe +/- 0,2 dl.
So if I feel worried about my lungs, I can always do this test and if I get my regular 5,2L, then I suppose I can feel pretty safe cause I can't really have a 1L+ air pocket outside my lung and still have the same vital capacity, can I?

Anthony Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Hi swede!

Wow, 5.2L, I had no idea our lungs could hold that much air. Your point is very interesting. For me, if I get any similar pain to the one I had with my first (and so far) only SP for 5 minutes or more, I would head to the hospital to get an x-ray.

But of course not always we have an hospital near, so if you get to any more accurate conclusion about this please let us know.

Kind regards,

A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions