HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

G-forces and SP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion

jw Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: G-forces and SP

does anybody know what imapct being exposed to higher than usual G-forces has upon people who have experienced a SP, but not had surgery?

for instance high G rollercoasters?

best,

Jon

Lorraine Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Great question! Or what about hard impacts?

Gambit Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

Well, my theory on bleb formation is that the lung is stretched in two opposite directions. The pleural pressure in the apical region (top) is more negative than the rest of the pleural space. This causes the apex of the lung to expand outwards and upwards. Meanwhile gravitational pull would be simultaneously pulling the lung downward.

With G force, the organs are moving in the same direction. If you're on a roller coaster that takes a sharp right turn, all your organs move in the opposite direction -- to the left. So I don't think there is any stretching of the lung.

Or course, if you perform a valsalva while frightened during a roller coaster ride, you can rupture a bleb!

Trauma can cause a pneumo, but it's by direct damage of the lung. Say you got stabbed. If you receive blunt force trauma to your torso while holding in your breath, you can create a great amount of intra-lung pressure, like stepping on a balloon. You have a constant volume of air in a location where the physical volume is suddenly decreased by external force. This can rupture a bleb or even cause a pneumo in normal people.

dakotalee Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: G-forces and SP

Hey jw,

My name is Melissa and Im from Australia.My lung collapsed 4 yrs ago--100%.I got told I would never be allowed to go bungy jumping or skydiving or scuba diving ever which I havent done.But something I have done is go on G-Force rides at Theme parks.Infact I went on every ride just a few weeks ago when I went to Queensland for a holiday.Im from western australia.It was the first time since my lung collapsed and I was a little nervous but I was desperate to go on them so I did--most of the rides were 4 G's I guess and they were ones that shot you up in the air and back again within 3 seconds.Other ones were where they continually tossed me about upside down and inside out--some were gravity ones and I also did all the roller coasters.My lung held up just fine.I did have the talc pleurodesis procedure though.Hope this helps
Mel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Anonymous Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Cool Cool Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> General Discussion
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions