HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Alternative Procedure for the Treatment of S Pneumothorax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Latest Announcements

Rossoe Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Alternative Procedure for the Treatment of S Pneumothorax

The Endo-Floating Ball 3.0 is a 5-mm endoscopic instrument widely utilized for liver resections. The thermal energy results in heat denaturation of protein in the wall of blebs and bullae, thereby shrinking the same blebs and bullae on their bases. The coagulation of blebs is an alternative to endostapler resection.

Apologies that I missed this one in 2009 ! but it sounds like a very viable alternative to standard thoracoscopic treatment. It's less invasive and has even been carried out under awake epidural anaesthesia. Other benefits are no retained foreign body, and a quicker and easier surgical procedure.

http://www.ctsnet.org/portals/thoracic/newtechnology/article-15.html

Let us know if you've had experience with this procedure ?

Last edited by Rossoe on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:32 am; edited 3 times in total

chezykaur Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject:

It sure does sound better than VATS but will that be a permanent solution, or will they just continue to rupture, possibly resulting in having the procedure again? I've had s/p #4 since my surgery in jan 09 left side, and now I'm having 2 have CT scan and the surgery redone, but if this new procedure is successful enough I may swing that idea by them!

Rossoe Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject:

Let us know what they say, we are always interested to know what the doctors think of these new methods, if indeed they have heard about them at all ?

I would have to assume that they intend for this treatment to be permenant for the particular bleb they are focusing on. however as many of us find out blebs tend to form in new locations. so nothing is perfect in that regards.

arikira Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Bump!

I've also had air leaks (not confirmed by x-ray, but I've had at least 4 PSP's prior to surgery, and I know the feeling quite well by now).

I'd love to hear about new procedures (PARTICUARY THIS ONE!) and be able to talk to prospective pulmonologists and surgeons about them.

swede Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject:

This sounds too good to be true.

The operations take 25 minutes, instead of like 1 hour and 25 minutes normally.
Hospital stay, due to this welding instead of cutting/stapling, is 2.5 days instead of like 7 days.
Its way easy for the surgeons, probably meaning less risk of complications.
And they can even perform it on awake patients, and only need two holes instead of three into your body. I guess that means its not at all as painful either.

GREAT!

But, hey, if you google this now, 4 years later, is it mentioned anywhere else?
Does it seem like any other hospital use it?
Does it seem like ANYONE (except a few in here) has any interrest in it?

Nope Sad

I tried to tell my doctor about it when I was there, but he wasn't really interrested. He said there are so many studies out there, and the biggest problem is many jump on to new things before they're safe.
So I guess this technique won't show up in Sweden during my lifetime, no matter how good it is.
Typical Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Latest Announcements
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions